Understanding your Annual Activity Requirement
If you receive of a Jobseeker payment, you will be familiar with Mutual Obligations and what your responsibilities are. When you reach 52 weeks as a jobactive customer some things will change. These changes are aimed at improving your chances of finding work through a combination of activities that prepare you for the workforce.
What is an Annual Activity Requirement?
The Annual Activity Requirement (AAR) phase begins after a jobactive customer has been with the programme for 52 weeks. This phase sets out the number of hours a customer must participate in approved activities per fortnight. All customers under 60 years of age have an AAR and must take part in an approved activity or combination of approved activities to meet their AAR.
What kinds of activities can you do?
- Paid work – If you have secured employment then congratulations! If you are still a jobactive customer these employment hours will contribute to your AAR.
- Volunteer work – Helping your community can provide invaluable experience and build skills for your next job. Hours volunteering will count whilst giving back to your community.
- Study – Any training or study with an RTO at a certificate 3 level and above can also help you meet your AAR.
- ADF reserves – Time spent in training exercises or any other prescribed activity for the defence force.
- Work for the dole – You can undertake work-like activities at a host organisation or as part of a community-based project. Participation in this programme will build experience and help you gain new skills in addition to meeting your AAR. (WfD activities recommenced from the 28th September 2020 following a closure during the COVID-19 pandemic and suspension of mutual obligations.)
How many hours am I required to participate in?
Your Annual Activity Requirement depends on both your age and stream of jobactive, if you aren’t sure which stream you are in, please talk to your consultant:
|Age Group||Requirement per fortnight||Requirement per fortnight for principal carers or those with partial work capacity|
|Up to 30 Years||50hrs||30hrs|
|30 to 49 Years||50hrs||15 - 16hrs|
|50 to 59 Years||30hrs p/fn||15 - 16hrs|
|60 to Aged Pension Age||10hrs p/fn||NO AAR|
If your time on jobactive is nearing the 52 week point, you can prepare for this phase by speaking to your consultant.
Together you can formulate the best plan and types of activities for your unique situation to give you the best chance of finding the right job for you.