Smart, Skilled, Hired Youth Employment
Am I eligible to join the Smart, Skilled and Hired (SSH) Youth Employment program?
To be eligible for the Smart, Skilled and Hired Youth Employment Program, you must:
- Be out of work, or working part time, or working casual hours (less than 28 hours a week) and needing to get more hours or more stable work
- Be aged between 15 and 24 at the time you register
- Have either finished Year 10 or have turned 17 years old
- Not be registered with Commonwealth employment programs such as jobactive or PaTH, unless you need support with things like mental health, housing, drug problems or transport to help you get a job
- Not be registered with the Transition to Work Commonwealth employment program
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, humanitarian visa holder (including refugee and humanitarian visa categories) or a New Zealand citizen
MAX offers the SSH program in Western Sydney. If you meet the eligibility criteria above and live in Western Sydney, you are likely to be able to undertake SSH with us.
I already have a job, can I still get help finding work with SSH?
The Smart, Skilled and Hired (SSH) youth employment program is available to anyone who meets the eligibility criteria, including young people who work part time, or casually—less than 28 hours a week.
If that applies to you and you would like more hours or more stability in your work hours, SSH is also designed to support you.
I’m already in jobactive, can I still get support from SSH?
One of the eligibility criteria for Smart, Skilled and Hired (SSH) is that you are not already registered with another employment program like jobactive or PaTH.
However, there is an exception to this. If you need additional support with things like mental health, housing, drug problems or transport to help you find work, the SSH program may be able to provide support.
I am from New Zealand, am I still entitled to access SSH services?
Yes! Provided you meet the other criteria, including being between 15 and 24 years of age without stable work, Smart, Skilled and Hired support is available to you.
The service is also available to Australian citizens, permanent residents and humanitarian visa holders.
Why should I join the Smart, Skilled and Hired (SSH) youth employment program?
SSH is designed to support you into sustainable and meaningful employment.
Provided you meet eligibility criteria, SSH is free and there are many reasons that you might consider joining. These include:
- You are unemployed and wanting to find work
- You are studying and unsure what comes next
- You are working part-time or casually and want to increase your hours of work or find a job that better suits you
- You are entering the workforce but ineligible for income support or Government Employment Services.
If this is you, we can support you to overcome any challenges that might be preventing you from meaningful employment. Support could include things like:
- Resume development and job application preparation skills
- Relevant training
- Transport assistance
- Work experience or volunteering
- Assistance with other challenges like childcare, homelessness, addiction, health and mental health.
Don’t settle for casual work or part-time work if you’ve got hopes for full time work and a career.
How much does the Smart, Skilled and Hired (SSH) Youth Employment program cost?
Provided you meet the eligibility criteria, the Smart, Skilled and Hired Youth Employment program is available at no cost to you.
Is the Smart, Skilled and Hired (SSH) Youth Employment program offered in my state?
The SSH youth employment program is a program funded by the NSW Government. This means that the program is only available to young people who live in New South Wales. If you live in Western Sydney, MAX can support you.
If you are living in Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, ACT, South Australia, Western Australia or the Northern Territory, unfortunately this service is not available to you.
Customer Enquiries1800 603 503
If you are a new or existing customer or have an enquiry about a service, contact our Customer Servicing Team
Corporate Enquiries(07) 3727 1300
MAX Solutions National Support Centre
4/107 Miles Platting Road
Eight Mile Plains
Where are we?Find one of our locations