There are many routes into work. We can help you decide where to start
Young people face a really complicated situation when looking for work. Finding the right industry, gaining the right skills and compensating for not having much experience is difficult.
If you’re a young person 18 - 25 and living in Western Sydney, we can help if you are:
- Unemployed and struggling to find work
- In work but need more hours or more stable work
- Leaving school soon and don’t know what to do next.
We will find out what you need and help you access the tools you need to get you into the work you’re looking for.
Join the youth employment program
Eligibility for Smart, Skilled and Hired
If you are a young person living in Western Sydney, MAX may be able to help you into the type of employment you are seeking.
To be eligible, you must:
- Be out of work or working less than 28 hours a week
- Have either finished year 10 or turned 17
- Not be registered with other employment programs (eg. Jobactive, PaTH, DES, Transition to Work)
- Be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, humanitarian visa holder (including refugee and humanitarian visa categories), or a New Zealand citizen.
Tell us about you
Once you have registered, you will be invited to come and chat with us at one of our offices or somewhere local that is convenient for you.
During this conversation we will start to get to know you, your current situation, skills and experience and the challenges you are facing as you search for employment.
We will help you to identify your employment goals and the tools and resources that will help you get where you want to go. We will also discuss the types of work available in your region and upcoming opportunities with local employers.
Prepare for work
As you prepare for work, we will assist you in a variety of ways. It is our goal to provide you with everything you need to achieve your employment goals.
This may include providing:
- Access to relevant education and training courses
- Access to or assistance with transport
- Mentoring, self-esteem and confidence building activities
- Helpful work experience or volunteering opportunities.
In addition we will enable you to access the tools you need to overcome any other challenges you may be facing such as homelessness, addiction, health and mental health and access to childcare.
Apply for jobs
When you’re ready we help you apply for jobs. Using our employer network we match your skills to employer needs and vacancies in your local area.
You are then supported through:
- Developing job search and interview skills
- Preparing job applications and tailoring your resume to different jobs
- Applying for jobs online.
By registering with MAXConnect and completing your personal My Job Fit profile you will be matched to available jobs that match your skillset and experience.
Supporting you in your new job
We want you to ensure you are given every opportunity to shine in your new role.
After you have started your new job, we will stay in regular contact. We can discuss any issues that might arise with your new employer and together work to overcome any challenges such as communication, managing expectations, teamwork and feedback.
You can also access our wide range of resources on MAXConnect including blog articles and links designed to give you the best chance of achieving fulfilling, long term employment.
If anything is worrying you or if you have any questions, you can always contact us. We are here for you.