Empowering Indigenous youth by partnering with remote communities
In partnership with the Aboriginal Biodiversity Conservation (ABC) Foundation, a registered Indigenous charitable organisation, we work with unemployed people in the remote Gascoyne region of Western Australia to support them into work.
Ocean to Outback is the Australian Government’s provider of the Community Development Programme (CDP) in the Gascoyne area. Through Ocean to Outback, we are working closely with remote Indigenous communities to build employment capacity, increase school attendance, and support young people in the region to engage in positive behaviours.
Activities delivered through Ocean to Outback empower local people within the framework of promoting Aboriginal culture and the growth of a sustainable land and sea economy.
- Children’s breakfast club program
- Cultural awareness, leadership and team building programs for young men and women
- Agriculture and horticulture
- Computer skills workshops
- Carpentry and arts programs
- Health living programs
- Ranger programs
- Town, house and yard maintenance
- Confidence building and relationship strengthening programs for young women.
The partnership with ABC Foundation builds on their strengths and ours and recognises that together we deliver a better program for the community.