Facebook Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) | MAX Solutions.

Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP)

What qualifications do your AMEP teachers have?

TESOL qualification in Adult Education or equivalent.

Our Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) teachers have qualifications additional to the minimum trainer and assessor requirements set by the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015. 

What are the costs involved in the AMEP?

Provided you meet the eligibility criteria, you can access the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) for free.

The AMEP is available to all eligible permanent visa holders 18 years of age or over who speak little or no English.

To be eligible for the AMEP, you must:

  • Be in Australia
  • Not have functional English language skills
  • Comply with registration, commencement and completion time limits (see below)
  • Meet one of the following criteria (and not have exhausted your allocation of AMEP hours): hold a permanent visa | hold an eligible temporary visa | have previously held a permanent entry permit or permanent visa and are now an Australian citizen | have at least one parent (if under 18 years) who has held or holds a permanent entry permit or permanent visa
  • Be over 18 years of age (however exceptions may apply)
  • Complete classes within five years of your arrival in Australia or the commencement of your visa. 

In addition, you must meet the following time frames from the date of your visa commencement or arrival in Australia to remain eligible:

  • Register with an AMEP service provider within six months (or 12 months if you were under 18 years of age when you arrived in Australia)
  • Commence your tuition within 12 months
  • Complete your tuition within five years.

Access is extended to some temporary visa holders as specified in the legislative instrument English Courses for Holders of Certain Temporary Visas. The temporary visa classes include:

  • Bridging F (Class WF)
  • Business Skills (Provisional) (Class UR) 
  • Business Skills (Provisional) (Class EB) 
  • Interdependency (Provisional) (Class UG) 
  • Partner (Provisional) (Class UF) 
  • Partner (Temporary) (Class UK) 
  • Resolution of Status (Temporary) (Class UH) 
  • Safe Haven Enterprise (Class XE) 
  • Skilled—Designated Area-sponsored (Provisional) (Class UZ) 
  • Skilled—Independent Regional (Provisional) (Class UX) 
  • Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 475) 
  • Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 487) 
  • Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 489) 
  • Temporary (Humanitarian Concern) (Class UO) 
  • Temporary Protection (Class XD).

To confirm if you are eligible or to register for the program contact us.

What if I didn’t register for the AMEP in my first 6 months?

At your Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) registration interview, we will assist you to complete a form requesting an extension to the timeframe and we will send to the Department for approval.

There are a few reasons for extension such as Employment, other English Study, Illness or injury, family responsibilities, travel outside of Australia or other compassionate reasons.

You will need to bring evidence to support your application for extension. This is to show why you could not register or start in the timeframe.  

Evidence will be things such as the name, dates and contact details of employers, certificates and information about where you have been studying, medical information, details of family commitments, birth certificates of children, travel dates if not in Australia and reasons for travel.

How do I find my nearest AMEP course?

Our Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) courses are delivered in four regions across Australia. Find your nearest AMEP location.

I am in Australia on a temporary visa, am I eligible for the AMEP?

According to the Australian Government, access to the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) is extended to some temporary visa holders. 

The temporary visa classes include: 

  • Bridging F (Class WF)
  • Business Skills (Provisional) (Class UR)
  • Business Skills (Provisional) (Class EB)
  • Interdependency (Provisional) (Class UG)
  • Partner (Provisional) (Class UF)
  • Partner (Temporary) (Class UK)
  • Resolution of Status (Temporary) (Class UH)
  • Safe Haven Enterprise (Class XE)
  • Skilled—Designated Areasponsored (Provisional) (Class UZ)
  • Skilled—Independent Regional (Provisional) (Class UX)
  • Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 475)
  • Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 487)
  • Skilled—Regional Sponsored (subclass 489)
  • Temporary (Humanitarian Concern) (Class UO)
  • Temporary Protection (Class XD).

To confirm if you are eligible or to register for the program contact us.

I have a child, can I bring them to AMEP classes?

We understand that studying with children can be difficult. The Australian Government provides funding to ensure you can access child care for children under school age, while you are attending Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) classes.

We will help you to find a child care placement at a child care facility close to your home or the class. We will also help you through the enrolment process. Child care placements are generally secured in time to coincide with your commencement of the program, however due to the high demands on child care facilities, this is not always possible. 

It is important to ensure you are attending your AMEP classes in order to retain the child care place. Your child/children can only attend childcare on days you come to AMEP class. 

All child care services offered must meet relevant state and territory regulations and may include:

  • Accredited licensed long day care services
  • Registered occasional care centres
  • Registered family day care services
  • Registered in-home care
  • Crèches and adjunct child care.


I have trouble with things like shopping, banking and visiting the doctor. Can AMEP classes help me?

Yes. The English classes you will take part in as part of the AMEP (Adult Migrant English Program) are designed to enable you to confidently participate in Australian life, whether in the workplace, or with services and individuals in the community. 

We integrate settlement skills into the course, including how to access government and community services, banking, medical assistance and emergency services, as well as understanding Australian law and your legal rights.

What do I need to bring to my AMEP (Adult Migrant English Program) registration interview?

Please bring the following with you:

  • Proof of identification (ID), eg. Immicard, passport
  • Proof of your 2nd VAC payment (if necessary)
  • A copy of your Visa Grant Letter.

The registration and initial assessment meeting may be up to two hours long so please make a time that will suit you.

How can I register for the AMEP? I can’t speak English very well and I might not understand.

All our staff are friendly and understand that you may have difficulty understanding when registering for the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP). 

You can ask us to speak slowly. You can also ask us to repeat what we said. It is ok to keep asking people to repeat – it is not rude to keep asking. 

You can also ask for an interpreter or bring a friend or family member along to help you. But, your interpreter or friend cannot help you with the part of the interview that is testing your English.

What do I need to bring to the AMEP classes?

When attending Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) classes, please bring an exercise book, a folder for worksheets, pencils, pens, highlighter and other stationery if you like. 

If you don’t have these items at home, we have plenty that you can use in the classroom.

Do I need to buy books for the AMEP?

No, you don’t have to buy books to study Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) with us. 

We know that many students like to have a textbook but our classes are focussed on helping you learn English for everyday situations so we will be doing a lot of speaking and listening.

Do I have to do homework when undertaking the AMEP?

Yes, when undertaking the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP), you will have homework. 

The best learning is when you are learning outside the classroom and talking to people in the community. Talk to everyone. The best way to learn English is to use it and practise every day.

How long can I study English classes with AMEP?

You must use your Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) entitlement within five years unless there are extenuating circumstances. 

The AMEP is designed as a settlement program to assist you at the beginning of your new life in Australia. 

It is a good idea to attend class as much as you can to get the most benefit from the AMEP.

Contact your nearest office

1800 625 350 FREE CALL